Job interview tips
Before The Interview
- Research the company & the job for which you are applying.
- Re-read the job advertisement.
- Re-read your resume.
- Remind yourself why you are interested in the job and the company.
- Anticipate the questions the interviewer might ask, prepare answers and write down the answers to possible questions.
- Know what skills, attributes and knowledge the company is looking for and be prepared to explain why you think you would be a good hire for the company.
- Plan how you will get to the interview – know exactly where you are going and how long it takes to get there.
During The Interview
- Have a copy of your resume for yourself and put it in a clear folder so that it is available for you to refer to quickly and easily. Make sure you have your facts and figures at hand.
- Dress neatly, comfortably and appropriately.
- Arrive early – arriving 15-30 minutes ahead of time allows you to relax and focus your thoughts. Arriving early shows to the interviewer that you are punctual and serious about your job.
- Set your phone to silent mode during the interview – don’t put yourself in a situation where your phone rings in the middle of the interview.
- Present yourself in a confident and positive manner.
- Be polite and speak clearly.
- Smile and keep up eye contact with the interviewer.
- Don’t ever interrupt the interviewer – wait for the interviewer to finish talking before you respond.
- Use positive words when describing your previous careers and avoid criticizing former employers or colleagues.